Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Just The Same by David McMillin

page 81

it was easy,

until i got to you.

the soggy mess
you left
in my heart,

well,
it's like cold cereal
left too long
on the counter.

it's like week old milk.
some of it

clings to the sides
of my brain
like curds

on the memory
of you,   thoughts
churning:

times we spent together,
words
we milked

out of each other's lips...
on a roof

in august.

we were hungry.
it's all in slow motion now.

my stomach growls
just thinking about it.

it longs for something real.
sustenance. yes,

it does. but i
just threw you away.

i left you in the sink,
my heart
like a spoon
at your feet.

good thing i did.

it was way past my
expiration date.

yeah.

but it's still so hard,
so fresh,

to write about you.

it takes everything i have.

No comments:

Post a Comment